Cupcakes are my thing at the moment. With my hectic study schedule and the upcoming exams looming in, all I could ever have time to bake was cupcakes and cookies. Plus my pretty paper eskimo baking cups recently arrived in the mail, patiently waiting in the cupboard for someone to use them. I am getting a little bored with baking only cupcakes this time (even though they all taste yummy), but soon enough I should be able to bake other things like cakes and macarons. I will, I promise.
These cupcakes are heavenly and are one of the best. The white chocolate heightens the flavours of the cupcake and adds a beautifully textured crumb. The cream cheese frosting complements the white chocolate perfectly and gives it a creamy tang to balance out the sweetness. Oh, and heart confettis add a little fun to the cupcakes. You can use whatever icing or topping you think is best to match the cupcake like white chocolate ganache. Traditional cream cheese icing is not normally served with white chocolate though, more often it is for banana, red velvet or carrot cakes. But since my mum requested this icing, I did it for her.
White chocolate cupcakes adapted from Ooh, Look.
100 grams of butter, room temperature
1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 and 1/3 cups of plain flour, sifted
3/4 cup of sugar
100 grams of white chocolate, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C (320 F). Line a cupcake baking tin with 12 cupcake paper liners.
2. Beat butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, until incorporated.
3. Add the sifted flour and baking powder into the butter mixture and mix until combined.
4. Mix in the milk and melted chocolate and continue to beat until smooth.
5. Fill the cupcake liners with batter until about 1/2 full and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the tin immediately and cool completely on a wire rack.
Cream cheese frosting
250 grams of cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
50 grams of butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of icing sugar, sifted
1. Beat cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
2. Gradually add the icing sugar to the cream cheese until well combined.
3. Beat the frosting again until it is fluffy and creamy and is ready to pipe.
Assemble the cupcakes by piping the cream cheese frosting on top. Sprinkle with your desired toppings and serve.